Date - Saturday 5 Jan 2019 - 6 Jan 2019
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regent's Park Rd, Camden Town, London, NW1 7AY United Kingdom
Saturday 5 January: 10am to 6pm (doors open 9.15am)
Sunday 6 January: 12pm to 6pm (doors open 11.30am)
Join us for a weekend of recovery, connection and fellowship featuring international and UK guest speakers, workshops and meetings covering all aspects of recovery from sex & love addiction and anorexia.
Our international guest speaker is Samantha M from the USA, who draws on 23 years of relationship sobriety and her experience of working therapeutically with people suffering from trauma, addictions and allied psychiatric problems. In a two-part talk spanning the weekend, Samantha will discuss ‘the path of spiritual growth’ including her own story, her experience of working the 12 Steps and her many years of helping others.
Our UK guest speaker John B has 39 years of recovery from chemical addiction and found lasting recovery from sex addiction in SLAA in 2006. He will discuss how our growing understanding of codependency, shame, attachment and trauma can reinforce the 12 Steps and help us to treat ourselves and others with love and compassion, making recovery an ongoing and deepening process. He draws on his experience of working therapeutically with sex & love addicts, seeing sexual compulsion as an attachment disorder based in trauma.
Meeting topics over the weekend include:
- Anorexia: From isolation to intimacy
- Control: The freedom of letting go
- Dating in recovery: Changing patterns for healthier choices
- Fantasy & addiction: Recovering reality
- LGBTQ meeting
- Men’s meeting
- Moving towards healthier intimate relationships
- Overcoming avoidance in relationships
- Parenting in recovery: Breaking the cycle of dysfunction
- People of colour meeting
- Rebuilding our intimate relationships after addiction
- Recovering from romantic obsession and qualifiers
- Recovering from slips: Keep coming back no matter what
- Rock bottoms & spiritual awakenings: From hell to hope
- Service: The path to connection, recovery and change
- Spirituality: What’s God got to do with it?
- Sponsoring: The growth & gifts of a unique relationship
- Steps 1 to 3: From powerlessness to willingness
- Steps 10 to 12: Living in the solution, one day at a time
- Steps 4 & 5: Digging deep for honesty and freedom
- Steps 6 & 7: Humility and surrender – the path to change
- Steps 8 & 9: Compassion and forgiveness will set us free
- Anorexia Steps Workshop: New tools in anorexia recovery
- The magic of gratitude and acceptance
- Top lines: Building a nurturing relationship with yourself
- Understanding shame and perfectionism in recovery
- Women’s meeting
£15 in advance (plus 35p booking fee)
£20 on the door (if available, cash only)
Getting there by public transport
Nearest tube station: Camden Town
Nearest Overground station: Camden Road
Nearest bus stops: 274, C2
Getting there by car
Very limited onsite parking for special access needs only (email c[email protected]aauk.org to reserve). Free on-street parking nearby.
Step-free access to all floors. Visit www.cecilsharphouse.org for more details.
Food and drink
An excellent onsite café offers meals, light bites and drinks all day:
- Coffees, teas, herbal teas, soft drinks and pastries
- Homemade vegetarian or vegan soup with crusty granary bread
- A range of sandwiches
- Three-cheese tarts & homemade sausage rolls
- Beef or tomato & mozzarella empanadas
- Roasted vegetable & quinoa frittata
- Baked potatoes with cheese, tuna, chilli or beans
- Chilli con carne with tortilla chips and sour cream
- Homemade cakes, brownies, scones and muffins
Camden Town is a short walk away, with a range of other cafés, shops and takeaways.
If you are interested in doing service at the convention or on the convention committee, please email conven[email protected]aauk.org or join the committee meetings which will be leading up to the convention.